Namaskaram and Welcome to Saranya Ayurveda Hospital!
We are very glad that you have chosen Saranya as your ayurvedic healing destination. On behalf of the entire Saranya team, we are happy to welcome you to become a member of our family and to use this "healing space" to embark on a healing journey which involves not just the physical but also the mental (or emotional), the spiritual, the social and the environmental aspects of well being.
We have put in some information here on the "patient page" to help you prepare well for your arrival here. We will continue to update the information to prepare you better for the treatment.
We have a request - please do follow the advice given by us to maximize the benefit from the treatment process. We do realize that some of our advice may be difficult to follow but it is rendered in your best interest. If at any point in time, you are unable to follow our advice properly and we feel that it is detrimental to your healing process, we may be forced to stop the treatments to protect you from any undue effects. Hence please do cooperate with us in this regard. We desire to see you healthy and happy and we will put in our best efforts towards the achievement of this goal.
If you are coming to Saranya after a long plane journey, you may be considerably tired; in which case, please feel free to sleep as much as you desire to get over the fatigue of the trip. It is good to get this fatigue out of the way on the first day so that you can focus on the healing process after that.
We are here to help you; please do not hesitate to contact either of us for anything that you need during your stay here.
We wish you a pleasant healing experience.
Yours in the service of Ayurveda
The Medical Team
Saranya Ayurveda Hospital
Some contacts you can carry while you travel to and stay in Saranya Ayurveda Hospital
Saranya Ayurveda Hospital,
Pichanur, Coimbatore -641105.
Direction to Saranya :
- Off NH-47 Coimbatore-Palakkad Road, near KG Chavady
- Round 20kms from the Coimbatore railway station and 35kms from the Coimbatore International airport
Important Phone Numbers
Mr. Sunil (Manager)
Front Office :
Location: Saranya Campus is located around 20kms outside Coimbatore in southern India. It is in the middle of the farmland and the place is generally quiet, peaceful and free from noise and dust pollution.
Getting to Saranya: It is best to fly into Coimbatore international airport which is connected by daily flights with Chennai, Bangalore, Mumbai and Delhi. You can also fly into Coimbatore directly from Singapore and Dubai on specific days in a week.
From Coimbatore airport, Saranyais around 30kms away (a car drive of around 50 minutes).
The taxi fare (in 2014) is as follows -
Please note that the above rates are subject to change based on the prevailing rates.
If you inform us of your travel plans in advance, we can arrange to send you a car of your choice to pick you up from the airport.
Please do remember to verify whether you need to get a visa for landing in India. Patients from most countries need to have a visa (medical / tourist) to come to India. For a smoother immigration process, it is better to take a medical visa when you come for Ayurveda treatment to India. The process of getting a visa can take anywhere between 1-12 weeks (or sometimes even more), depending on where you are located.
For those of you who get an e-visa, please do verify the airports in India where you can clear immigration with the e-visa - as of date, you cannot land in Coimbatore International Airport with an e-visa. Also do remember that generally, you cannot get an extension of stay on your e-visa.
In case of any doubt, please do speak with your travel agent to ensure that your journey to India is smooth and without hurdles.
OVERSEAS TRAVEL MEDICAL INSURANCE
You might want to check with your travel agent about the possibility of acquiring overseas travel medical insurance. This would be useful in case of any emergency medical need during your stay in India.
THINGS MUST TO CARRY
Things to bring with you when you come for treatment to Saranya
- all your relevant medical reports
- any medication (including allopathic) that you are currently using and cannot be immediately discontinued (please bring sufficient stock to last you through the period you are here)
- simple, comfortable and modest cotton clothing (based on the season that you are here); it might be best to bring some old clothing which can be discarded if necessary after the treatment (the smell of the oils is strong and hence you may choose not to carry the clothes back home)
- comfortable non-slippery footwear and socks
- your music system and some easy-on-the-ear music, mantras, instrumental music, motivational talks, spiritual discourses etc.
- 1 light sweater or shawl to keep you warm (do check the section on the weather to know whether you need to bring more shawls)
- 2-3 scarves to cover your head and neck (to protect from exposure to sun, wind rain etc.) when you move out of the room
- essential reading material (please note that our physicians do not advise you to read during the treatment process)
- herbal mosquito repellant in case you are very sensitive to mosquitoes (all our doors and windows as also the beds have nets)
- 1 torch
- Yoga mat in case you want to practice
Some important points
- Since the treatments are primarily oil based, there is a possibility for mild oil stains or odour remaining on the bedsheets and pillow covers even after going through the laundry
- In the laundry, the sheets and pillow covers are first put in boiling water and then washed using a non-chemical detergent
- In case you are not comfortable using these common sheets and pillow covers, please feel free to carry with you three sets of sheets and pillow covers which will be used exclusively for you
An international patient should also bring -
- 3 copies of the passport page with the photo
- 3 copies of the passport page with the visa stamp
- bank notification/copy of the endorsement on the passport for travellers' cheques (if that is the preferred mode of payment)
Things NOT to bring with you
- anything to eat including snacks, chocolates, sweets etc.
- video DVDs
- additives like cigarettes, alcohol etc.
- The traditional culture in and around Saranya is for women to use clothing that covers their legs completely, and upper clothing with sleeves. To fit in easily into this culture, you may prefer to use similar clothing.
- Further, the treatment also requires that you be completely covered throughout the entire day to prevent you from catching any fever, cold, cough etc. during the treatment.
- If you choose to use minimal clothing within your room, please do ensure that you keep the door locked; this will avoid embarrassment for there will be many people who come into your room for several different reasons like giving food, giving medicines, housekeeping etc.
- Generally, the culture in Saranya is that the staff knock on the room door once and then enter unless specifically instructed otherwise by the patient.
ADVICE DURING TREATMENT
The Ayurveda texts advise "complete cessation of activity" during the Ayurveda treatment processes like panchakarma, snehapana, shirodhara, pizhichil, shirovasti etc.; many of the advice continue to be applicable for several days after the treatment is over till the healing process is complete.
Some advice that our physicians give during your stay in Saranya (for all treatments) include -
BATH: Generally the therapist will give you a bath after your treatment. They use warm water for the body and lukewarm water for the head. We suggest that you dont take baths in the room by yourself.
DAY SLEEP: Our physicians advise you to avoid sleeping during the day during the treatment process.
EXERCISE: Exercise or exertion in any form is to be avoided for the duration of your stay in Saranya. You can do slow-paced walking (when it's not too sunny or rainy), attend yoga sessions or practice your own regimen according to the advice of the physicians.
EXPOSURE TO SUN, WIND, RAIN: Exposure to sun, wind, rain and other natural elements should also be avoided during the period of the treatment. Your body becomes very tender during this process and is susceptible to the influence of external elements. Hence the more you stay indoors and well protected, the better will be benefited from the healing process.
MUSIC: During the treatment process, our physicians advise complete physical and mental rest. However, since this is difficult for most of us, they advise us to listen to soft, gentle soothing music or devotional songs or mantras whenever we feel like some activity.
NATURAL URGES: Do not suppress natural urges like the urge to urinate or the urge to pass wind or stool; it is important that these urges are immediately attended to. Thus even during the actual treatment, if you feel the need to relieve yourself, please do tell your therapists and go ahead.
REST: Complete physical and mental rest is advised during the treatment; the more the rest, the greater the healing benefit. The less we use the telephone (or mobile phone) and computer (or laptop or ipad), the better it is for the healing process.
SLEEP: It is good to go to bed early at night by around 9 pm; in the morning, you will be required to be awake by 5.45 am-6 am to drink your morning medicine.
TALKING / LAUGHING: Complete physical and mental rest also means that you should minimize your interactions and reduce unnecessary talk during the treatment duration.
TRAVEL: We strongly advise you to desist from traveling during the treatment as well as for a few days after the treatment.
NOTE - If the above advice or the advice given by the physicians is not strictly followed, you may not be able to get the full benefit from the treatments that you undergo at Saranya.
REASONS FOR ABOVE ADVICE
The Ayurveda texts clearly describe the probable side effects that can occur by violating the prescribed regimen. Please do remember that it is not absolutely compulsory that all these side effects occur in everyone who violates the regimen. It is only that there is a greater probability for the occurrence of these problems in all those who violate the dietary and lifestyle regimen and that is why these restrictions need to be strictly implemented to ensure that the patient gets the best treatment and consequently maximizes the benefit. Briefly put, they are as follows:
- Excessive talking gives rise to insomnia, headache, piercing pain in the temples and ear, obstruction in-ear, dryness in the mouth, palate and throat, defects of vision, thirst, fever, feeling of darkness, lockjaw, stiffness in the carotid regions, need to spit often, pain in the chest and sides, hoarseness of voice, hiccups and breathlessness.
- Too much sleep and traveling in vehicles will lead to laxity in big and small joints, pain particularly piercing one in the jaw, nose, ear and head, irritation in the abdomen, gurgling sound in the abdomen, obstruction in the heart and senses, pain in the buttocks, sides, groins, scrotum, waist and back; weakness in joints, shoulder and neck, distress in the body, swelling in the feet, numbness, tingling sensation etc.
- Walking can cause pain in the feet, shanks, thighs, knees, groins, buttocks and back; weakness in legs, piercing pain, cramps in the calf muscles, body ache, distress in the shoulder, dilatation of veins and arteries, breathlessness, cough etc.
- Excessive sitting will lead to the same problems as those while traveling in a vehicle and in addition, giddiness, nausea and immobility may develop.
- Intake of food during indigestion and before the previous meal has been digested will lead to dryness of mouth, flatulence, colic, piercing pain, thirst, lassitude, vomiting, diarrhea, fainting, fever, tenesmus and food poisoning.
- Indulging in an irregular and unwholesome diet will lead to loss of desire for food, debility, abnormal complexion, itching, eczema, lassitude and disorders caused by vitiated vata such as dysentery, piles etc.
- Intake of uncooked food will cause the production of toxins, vomiting, fever etc.
- Day sleep can lead to aggravation of kapha and its complications like enlargement of the spleen, anemia, oedema etc., loss of appetite, indigestion, loss of digestive fire, feeling of wetness; paleness, itching, eczema, burning sensation, vomiting, body ache, heart block, dullness, drowsiness, excessive sleep, the appearance of nodules, debility, smearing in eyes, palate etc. There can also be complications of jaundice etc. by day sleep.
- Indulgence in excessive copulation can lead to instant loss of strength, lassitude in the thighs; pain in the head, pelvis, anus, genitals, groins, thighs, knees, shanks and feet, palpitation in the heart, pain in the eyes, laxity in body parts, genital bleeding, cough, breathlessness, the feebleness of voice, weakness in the waist, scrotal swelling, retention of flatus, faeces and urine, dullness, trembling, deafness and depression. There can also occur life-threatening diseases like convulsions and hemiplegia, a feeling as though consciousness is fleeing or pain as if the rectum is being torn or a feeling as though hot smoke is coming out of the genitals or as if the mind is going into darkness.
- By suppressing the natural urges like the need to pass flatus, urine, faeces etc. the vata moves in the upward direction causing trouble to the entire body.
- Mental turmoil like a fit of anger agitates pitta and produces pitta-originated problems like thirst, burning sensation etc.; grief causes a distracted state of mind.
- The use of cold water and other cold things tends to aggravate the Vata and brings on an aching pain in the limbs, feeling of fullness of stomach, distension of abdomen and shivering.
- Undue exposure to the sun and wind produces fever and discoloration of the complexion.
- It is actually said that these restrictions are applicable for not just the duration of the treatment, but for double, the period after the treatment or till the disease is completely cured whichever is later.
DIET DURING TREATMENT
FOOD: Food is medicine according to Ayurveda. However during the treatment, “medicine is food”; and hence the endeavour is to keep the food as light as possible so that digestion happens easily and the focus can be entirely on the healing process.
DRINKING WATER: Warm medicated herbal drinking water is provided in to your room; if you need more water, please do not hesitate to request the same. Ayurveda recommends the use of this warm herbal water as it aids digestion and also purifies the body.
At different stages of your stay in Saranya, different Ayurveda treatments will be administered based on your specific need as assessed by your physicians at Saranya. The information given herein will help you to understand more about your treatments and how you can contribute to maximizing the benefits from each of these treatments.
Please note that the general information given below is applicable to all the treatments. The information specific to your treatment program will be updated to you by your medical team.
- You will be taken to the treatment room by the therapist at the appointed time
- only male therapists do treatments for male patients, and female therapists do treatments for female patients
- He/She will request you to remove clothes and wear the loincloth. if you need help, he/she will help you to wear the loincloth.
- After treatment, the therapist will give you a bath.
- Generally, hot water is used for the body, and lukewarm medicated water is used for the head; a scrub made of green gram paste is the cleaning agent
- After the bath, he/she will apply a powder (Rasnadi Choornam) to your scalp and also request you to sniff the powder gently
- He/She will then apply sandal on your forehead and take you back to your room.
- Some treatments may require the cutting/shaving of hair; the physicians will inform you and then arrange accordingly.
- Most treatments are done between sunrise and sunset; thus generally the last treatment starts at around 4.30 pm.
TREATMENT DO'S AND DON'TS
- Remove all jewellery and keep under lock & key in the room itself
- Wear a simple gown or easy-to-remove clothes when you go for treatment
- Do relieve yourself (of the urges for urination and defecation) before you go for treatment
- During the treatment, if you need to relieve yourself, do not hesitate to inform the therapists
- Try to relax and close your eyes during the entire process. try to stay positive during the entire process. if you can go into a meditative state, that will be good
- Inform the therapist if you have any discomfort at any point time. also keep the physicians informed of every detail, small or big, that you feel uncomfortable with.
- Feel free to ask the physicians regarding any aspect of your treatment, herbs, etc.
- Do cover your head, ears and neck with a shawl or soft cloth when you move out of your room
- Do drink sufficient warm water throughout the day
- Do go to bed early at night say by 9 pm
- Do not eat or drink heavily before treatment.
- Do not request for additional pressure or hard massage; the therapists deliberately use minimum pressure
- Do not engage in conversation with therapist during treatment
- Do not be exposed to sun, wind, rain etc. for the entire duration of your stay here
- Do not ask the therapists about the treatment, herbs etc.; they may not have the right information
- Do not use any substance like tobacco, alcohol and drugs during your stay here
- Do not eat food other than what is served to you
- Do not sleep during daytime or stay awake late into the night
- Do not do exercise or any other physical activity without the permission of your physicians
- Do not get stressed on any account during this program
- Do not use a mobile or telephone in excess.
In addition to the above, your physicians may have specific advice for you based on your medical condition and your specific need. Please do follow all the advice rendered to maximise the benefit from the healing process. In case you are unable to follow the advice properly and our physicians feel that it is detrimental to the healing process, they may decide to stop your treatments to prevent any adverse effects. We hope that you understand that all decisions taken are in your best interest.
If you would like to have more information regarding the reasons behind the do's and don'ts, you can also speak to your physicians and request them to explain this in greater detail.
- Patients' inquiries and admission confirmations are done through mails and telephone.
- An advance of Rs.20,000/- will be collected for the confirmed admissions. If there is cancellation from the patient side, the full amount will be reimbursed back if it is one month before the arrival date. If it falls short of 30 days, 25% will be deducted and the rest of the amount will be reimbursed.
- Airport & Railway station pickup is arranged for the patients on request, which will be charged according to the point of arrival.
- Admission process will be done at the Front Office on arrival.
- For Indian nationals, an ID proof(Aadhar card, passport, driver's license, or voter's ID) is to be submitted at registration, which will be returned after completion of the admission process. The photo of the patient will be taken at the registration desk as well.
- For Foreign national patients, the original passport is to be submitted at registration, which will be returned after completion of the admission process and submitting of C-form. The photo of the patient will be taken at the registration desk as well.
- Registration will also provide a Consent form that the patient can sign after reading.
- The Patient Relations Officer(PRO) will be visiting the patient's room every alternate day. Additionally, the patient can avail of PRO visitations by contacting the Front Desk.
- All payments are processed through the office.
- For any inquiries regarding official matters, the admitted patients can dial extension no 319 from their room phones.
- Any non-medical facilities like pooja (temple), outgoing vehicles, etc should also be processed through the office.
- Patient's rooms and bathrooms are cleaned daily.
- The bedsheets are changed after 2 days.
- Paid laundry facility is available for the patients and bystanders. Clothes are collected every day in the morning, cleaned, and delivered back to the patient room by evening.
- Mineral water and Tissue rolls are provided on request and will be charged.
- Medicinal water is supplied to the patient's room every day in the morning.
- Herbal fumigation is done every day in the evening inside the patient's rooms.
- An estimated bill is given to the admitted patients weekly.
- Receipts for the advance payments are given to the patients as soon as we receive the payment.
- Payments are accepted by Cash, Bank transfer, or Card payments. Additionally, 1.75% will be charged on all the card payments as a processing fee.
- Cheque payments are also accepted up to 7 days before the patient's discharge date.
Important Contact numbers
In case of any administrative emergency, please contact the following numbers.
- Front Desk: 9500 77 9026 / 044 4627 0648
- Manager: Mr. Sunil Kumar: +91 97458 04024
- Dy CMO: Dr. Vinod: +91 89036 93760