Panchakarma therapies (Purificatory methods): Purificatory methods have been given due importance in the management of Vatarakta. Following line of management has been given in Charaka Samhita and successive classics:
- Snehana Karma: Snehana or oleation therapy is given to the patient of Vatarakta prior to Shodhana as well as Shamana Chikitsa in Vatarakta.Snehana is also used externally in the form of Abhyanga.
- Virechana Karma: Therapuetic purgation is advised in the treatment line of Vatarakta.
- Vasti: It has been mentioned that Vasti Karma is the best treatment for patients suffering from Vatarakta. Vasti Karma includes both Asthapana and Anuvasana vasti in the form of Karma, Kala and Yoga vasti. Vasti Chikitsa is advised after giving Virechana & considered as best for Vata Shamana.
- Raktamokshana Karma: Rakta Margavarana is the predominant pathology of Vatarakta and this leads to the accumulation of morbid Rakta. Hence Raktamokshana is considered the main treatment of Vatarakta. Raktamokshan may be done by Shringa, Jalouka, Suchi, Alabu, Prachhana and Siramokshana methods.
Pacifying therapies: Pacifying therapies helps to bring about homeostasis, keeping Tridosha at Sama Avastha. Samhitas have given a number of formulations to keep Samyaavastha of Tridosha and to alleviate signs & symptoms of Vatarakta.
External therapies: External therapies are essential in patients suffering from Vatarakta. Charaka Samhita has stressed to use local applications in Uttana Vatarakta. Local applications should be used in the form of Lepa, Parisheka and Abhyanga.
- Lepa- Warm application of medicated paste over affected joints.
- Parisheka – Pouring of medicated liquids or oils.
- Abhyanga – Abhyanga over the affected part is planned according to the dominance of the involved Dosha. Warm oil processed with Vatahara drugs is used for Abhyanga.
Diet: Pathya for Vatarakta patients : Cereals like old barley, wheat, green leafy vegetables like Kakamachi(Solanum nigrum), Masura(Lens esculanta) Mudga(Psoralea radiatus), Shatavari(Asparagus racemosus) sizzled with Ghee and meat soup, Milk of cow, buffalo and goat.
Apathya for Vatarakta patients :Vatarakta patients should avoid intake of Katu (pungent), Ushna (hot) Amla and Lavana Rasa Pradhan food and Abhisyandi foods like Black gram , Horse gram, flat beans, garden pea, Flesh of birds and aquatic animals, Curd, sugarcane, Radish, alcohol, Fermented drink, Sesame.
Lifestyle: Vatarakta patients should avoid sleep during day time, exposure to heat or sunlight, Excessive exercise and coitus.
Ayurveda offers a holistic, historically rooted, reportedly safe, alternative treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis.
At Saranya, we believe in the old school application of Ayurveda wisdom with a modern approach rooted in evidence based practise. The medicines and therapies are fixed only after individual consultation through listening, understanding the need and analyzing the root cause. We incorporate different diagnostic methodologies in identifying the root cause of pain and plan unique customized treatment strategies to eliminate the causes.
We believe in restoring the quality of life by relieving the hardships and pain of those who suffer.
References: Ashtanga Hridaya, Charaka Samhita, Sushrutha Samhita.