DADIMA, commonly known as ‘anar’ or ‘pomegranate’ can be found littered throughout historic literature and arts all over the world. It was lauded in ancient times in the Old Testament of the Bible, the Jewish Torah, and the Babylonian Talmud as a sacred fruit conferring powers of fertility, abundance, and good luck. It also features prominently in the ceremonies, art, and mythology of the Egyptians and Greeks and was the personal emblem of the Holy Roman Emperor, Maximilian. And Ayurvedic scholar Susurta considers it as one among the best of fruits.
The latin word pomum means “apple” and granatus means “seeded”. Pomegranate is a poly-vitamin, a unique fruit plant producing a wide spectrum of biologically active substances especially important in our present day lack of core immunity and strength.
So let’s have a look into 5 important health benefits of Pomegranate:
- Pomegranates have antioxidant activity three times higher than that of red wine and green tea.
- Pomegranates contain punicalagins and punicic acid, unique substances that are responsible for most of their health benefits. Punicalagins help in reducing inflammation, and can reduce the chance of developing many serious diseases like cancer and diabetes.
- Pomegranates may aid in weight loss efforts because they contain fiber, which contributes to feelings of fullness. You may end up eating less as a result and could therefore lose weight. They could be especially beneficial for weight loss when eaten instead of candy or dessert.
- Clinical research shows that pomegranates, when part of a healthy diet, might help prevent heart disease, heart attacks and strokes. This is because pomegranates have the potential to thin the blood, increase blood flow to the heart, reduce blood pressure, reduce plaque in the arteries, and reduce bad cholesterol while increasing good cholesterol.
- Alkaloids present in the fruits works as a good antacid as well, also it improves appetite as well as aids digestion.
Apart from these Dadima alleviates all the three doshas (deranged biohumors). It relieves excessive burning sensation. It is a good natural aphrodisiac and improves sperm count and semen quality. It is good for the heart, improves intelligence, immunity and body strength.
Add it to your raita or make a salsa, this jewel-toned fruit knows all the tricks to enliven your dishes. Even though peeling and seeding is tedious, the payoff is huge.